Monday, September 15, 2008

where i fit in

by Sarah:

So, since my two other "partners in crime" have said their part of the story, I figured it was about time I put my two cents in. Before I start though, just thought I should mention you can read a relatively accurate story of us and the prospective road trip online at greenwichtime.com. Alright, so here I go. Most of you who know me know that going on this road trip was not part of my future just about 2 months ago. Starting just about a year ago, I began applying to the Peace Corps to get (what I thought to be) a head start into my post-graduation plans. Ever since my feet touched the soil in a different country, I fell in love with traveling. First came Italy, then Ecuador, then Nepal, and finally Lithuania. I was convinced I would move to any or all of these places. I developed a heart for learning about other cultures and going on adventures abroad. So... I decided to apply to the Peace Corps. The application process was grueling- it wasn't until the next August that I was finally placed- in the Dominican Republic. So, while all my friends were applying and interviewing for jobs, I was waiting anxiously to hear which country I would be spending the next two years of my life in. So, I graduated, with no clue where I would be going, but with the assurance that I had some sort of plan for my life. All that changed when I began to have mysterious pain in my neck shooting down my right arm. For a couple nights, I was crying because the pain was so intense I could hardly stand it. I almost called the ER a couple times. My primary doctor ordered an MRI and they found that I had a bulging herniated disc in my neck. When I finally got an appointment to see the neurosurgeon, he told me that the disc was a 9 out of 10 (10 being the worst case scenario).

I thought that was enough of a shocker, but then he told me that I would need surgery that next week. I wasn't even disappointed, but instead relieved when he told me this. I couldn't wait to not be in excruciating pain any longer. So, the surgery was successful. The only bad news was that I would need to now put the Peace Corps on hold. The only question was, for how long? I was devastated, no, that's not even a strong enough word for how I felt. I was sick at my stomach when I learned that I would have to wait 1-3 years before even being considered for the Peace Corps again. You can read my blog post here if you're interested. I had some great friends who stuck by me during this tough time after surgery. In addition, the week after surgery, I found that my grandfather had died. Though I was unable to go to his funeral, I feel like I was there in spirit and mourned the loss of him from long distance.

Three friends from college came to visit in the next two weeks. I'm very fortunate to have these great friends in my life. Speaking of friends My best friend Nicole had been planning this road trip for a while (read her post for more info). I decided to start work full time at a residential childrens' crisis shelter in CT, but I will be getting time off to go on the road trip. Nicole always has these "crazy" ideas, but this time, it actually was going to work! I was thrilled and can't wait to be a part of such an incredible adventure. Though I won't be acclimating to life in the Dominican Republic, I'll be experiencing life while exploring the United States.

This road trip will hopefully be a time of healing, renewal, adventure, and clarity. I'm hoping to have that "aha moment" during the trip- you know, that moment you realize why things worked out the way they did? Well, I'm just grateful I have this time to enjoy life with two great friends!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely excited for you to have your "aha" moment! Has Nicole told you about the Albino Squirrel Park we're visiting?

I think you might have it there.

Nicole said...

hahaha the Albino Squirrel Park is definitely going to be a place of epiphanies. I enjoyed your blog post Miss Wittmann. Keep up the rock solid blogging! (not a threat, but a strong recommendation because you've got interesting things to say! Same goes for you, Ren!)